Watch out for these COVID-19 Related Scams:
As someone who works in IT as a VP of Professional Services and vCIO for a Managed Service Provider, I wanted to give you a heads up to watch out for scams relating to the COVID-19 crisis.
Fraudsters are trying to profit from consumers’ fears, uncertainties, and misinformation. These scammers are exploiting the crisis to facilitate fraud and cyber crime.
The Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC) has updated its list of known COVID-19 related scams.
The CAFC, which works with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Competition Bureau, and Ontario Provincial Police, is urging Canadians to be vigilant as fraudsters look to exploit the crisis.
Here is the CAFC’s latest list of tricks that have been detected as of March 18th:
• Cleaning or heating companies offering duct cleaning services or filters to protect from COVID-19 offering "special" air filters.
• Local and provincial hydro/electrical power companies threatening to disconnect power for non-payment.
• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) the World Health Organization (WHO) offering fake lists for sale of COVID-19 infected people in your neighbourhood.
• Public Health Agency of Canada giving false results saying you have been tested positive for COVID-19 tricking you into confirming your health card and credit card numbers for a prescription.
• Red Cross and other known charities offering free medical products (e.g. masks) for a donation.
• Government departments sending out coronavirus-themed phishing emails tricking you into opening malicious attachments tricking you to reveal sensitive personal and financial details.
• Financial advisers pressuring people to invest in hot new stocks related to the disease offering financial aid and/or loans to help you get through the shut downs.
• Door-to-door sales people selling household decontamination services.
• Private companies offering fake COVID-19 tests for sale.
I have also put together some links of interest for our clients and families to protect you from COVID-19 related scams and overall good secure computing:
• Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre: antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/features-vedette/2020/covid-19-eng.htm
• WHO – Beware of criminals pretending to be WHO: www.who.int/about/communications/cyber-security
• How to spot phishing scams arising from COVID-19: cba.ca/covid-19-email-scam
• Canada – False and misleading claims: www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risk...
• CISA – Defending against COVID-19 cyber scams: www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2020/03/06/defending-against-covid-19-cyber-scams
• StaySafeOnline – COVID-19 Security Resource Library: staysafeonline.org/covid-19-security-resource-library/
• IT World Canada: www.itworldcanada.com/article/cyber-security-today-covid-19-scams-continue-heres-how-to-avoid-the...
• Global News: globalnews.ca/news/6686585/how-to-protect-yourself-against-phishing-and-malware-coronavirus-scams/
• 5 tips from homeland security to help you avoid COVID-19 scams: www.forbes.com/sites/leemathews/2020/03/08/5-tips-from-homeland-security-to-help-you-avoid-covid-...
• NCSC issues guidance as home working increases in response to COVID-19: www.ncsc.gov.uk/news/home-working-increases-in-response-to-covid-19 ... See MoreSee Less
Due to the rapidly evolving Public Health advice concerning the novel coronavirus (now named COVID-19) it has been decided to cancel all Masonic events for an indefinite period. This includes lodge meetings, memorial services and social events.
Those lodges who have requested dispensations to cancel or postpone in the past two days, will be covered by this blanket dispensation. We will continue to monitor the situation and will inform you when it is safe to re-open.
Depending on the length of time this situation lasts, there will be several other administrative adjustments which we will have to make. We will inform you of these in good time.
Please remember your vulnerable brethren and check in on them by phone or e-mail regularly.
Continue to follow the advice of the health authorities and be safe.
David J. Cameron
Grand Master ... See MoreSee Less
Reminder for tonight: Regular meeting of Flower City Lodge No. 689 tonight at 7:30 p.m. Also, dinner is available at 6:30 p.m. ... See MoreSee Less
COMBINED LODGE OF INSTRUCTION OF TORONTO HUMBER VALLEY AND TORONTO WEST DISTRICTS
OPEN TO ALL MASTER MASONS
Saturday February 22 8:00 – 11:30 a.m.
Weston Masonic Temple
2040 Weston Road, Toronto
Registration 8:00 – 8:59 a.m.
Dress – Smart Casual, No Regalia ... See MoreSee Less